There’s no denying the importance of marketing on social media.
Look at any recent statistics and you’ll see that social media marketing is one of the best ways to drive traffic, build lists, boost sales and educate readers.
While millions of business owners are doing it,
many are not seeing the results they want.
That’s because there is a method to the madness. You have to have a plan.
What you should be posting
Many types of content work well on social media. What works best depends on which social site you’re using and what your specific audience wants to see. Some of the best types of content for social media are:
- Original content – Fun, informative, thought-provoking information is always a hit.
- User-generated content – content created by others that you share with your followers.
- Live streaming video – it doesn’t have to be long, but if informative or fun, it can make a big impact.
- Eye-catching Images & Infographics – make sure they’re high quality and informative.
- Webinars & Podcasts – announce upcoming webinars and share the recordings on your social media sites.
- Testimonials – it’s not bragging. It’s social proof that others like what you offer.
When you should be posting
The obvious answer is when your followers are online and the only way to know that is to do your target marketing research.
That being said, some sites suggest these days and times are best:
- Facebook: Tuesday through Thursday between noon & 2 pm
- Instagram: Tuesdays through Thursday between 3 pm and 6 pm
- Twitter: Friday between 9 am and 10 am
- LinkedIn: Tuesdays through Thursday between 3 pm and 5 pm
- Pinterest: Weekends between 8 pm and 11 pm
- YouTube: Thursday and Friday between noon and 4 pm & weekend mornings from 9 am to 11 am.
Again, do your research so you get the best response from each post.
Tips for using social media to market your business
You must know your audience before you can plan strategically.
Know what they want and need,
which places they hang out,
what types of content they like best, and so forth.
- Remember your mission statement. Everything you do on social media should take you a step closer to your business goal(s).
- Always have a purpose. Every piece of content needs to have a specific purpose.
- Track your results. You won’t know what is working and what isn’t if you aren’t tracking your metrics.
- Analyze and optimize. Data means nothing if you don’t study it, learn from it, and work on improving the numbers.
- Include both original and curated content. Make it informative, engaging, and memorable.
- Use the tools available to you. Any way you can cut time and make things easier is always good.
- Pay for advertising when necessary. It’s inexpensive and can really make a big impact on your results.